Orienteer of the Year
Click button to see current OY points for PAPO members: OY Points Results
Each year the club has an Orienteer of the Year (OY) competition across all the grades and levels. The OY series is planned to be made up of 8 diverse events, with the top 6 scores counting towards total OY points.
- Four Classic orienteering events.
- A night orienteering event.
- A double sprint day.
- A score/rogaine event.
- A MTBO event.
The OY rules and points calculations were updated in late 2021 following a two-year trial of this format for the OY series.
The OY events for 2023 are:
- OY1: 19-Feb-2023 | Orton Bradley OY
- OY2: 19-Mar-2023 | Laidmore OY (JWOC trials weekend)
- OY3: 14-May-2023 | Flock Hill OY
- OY4: 28-May-2023 | Score OY. Mt Vernon.
- OY5: 17-Jun-2023 | Night OY. Leithfield
- OY6: 23-Jul-2023 | Woodend OY
- OY7: 6-Aug-2023 | Double Sprint OY. Nga Puna Wai & Canterbury A&P grounds
- OY8: 12-Nov-2023 | MTBO OY. Bottle Lake.
OY points 2023
The OY points for 2023 will be published here showing the running total as the year progresses.
Current 2023 points: https://oypoints.papo.org.nz
Help & explanation of codes: https://oypoints.papo.org.nz/2022/LRM
This also includes OY points results since 2021.
OY points 2008-2021
Prior to 2020, the OY series consisted of 6 classic orienteering events only.
|2021||2021 OY results (pdf)|
|2020||2020 OY results (pdf)|
|2019||2019 OY results (pdf)|
|2018||2018 OY results (pdf)|
|2017||2017 OY results (pdf)|
|2016||2016 OY results (pdf)|
|2015||2015 OY results (pdf)|
|2014||2014 OY results (pdf)|
|2013||2013 OY results (pdf)|
|2012||2012 OY results (pdf)|
|2011||2011 OY results (pdf)|
|2010||2010 OY results (pdf)|
|2009||2009 OY results (pdf)|
|2008||2008 OY results (pdf)|
OY points calculation overview
There are 12 OY grades in the OY competition:
|Red Long Female||Red Long Male|
|Red Medium Female||Red Medium Male|
|Red Short Female||Red Short Male|
|Orange Female||Orange Male|
|Yellow Female||Yellow Male|
|White Female||White Male|
- The first place runner in each grade gets 25 points.
- Other runners are awarded points based on their time behind the winner.
Calculated as 25 * (winning time / competitors time).
- Each competitor's top 6 scores from the series of 8 events are added to get the OY series score.
- A minimum of 15 points is awarded where the calculation would result in a score of less than 15. A mis-punch gets 10 points.
- If you run an event in a different grade to your usual OY grade, you will also receive 10 points for a lower grade or 15 points for a higher grade.
- Planners and controllers of OY events get 25 points for that event.
- See OY rules (updated 2021) for the full rules and details of calculations used for the score event.